Research on other British Nigerians
I asked some of my friends who are of Nigerian heritage about their experience as a British Nigerian to see if their experiences were similar to mine. I asked them both what they like about being Nigerian as well as the negative connotations they have.
Consensus gathered from feedback
- Nigerians are often negatively seen as corrupt, scammers and dishonest - the often referenced 'Nigerian prince' scam
- They wish they knew they're native language more
- Other Nigerians often consider them to be weaker due their British upbringing
- visualizing stereotypes and making a satire of them
- making a poster based around '419' - the Nigerian legal code for fraud
Photographing a Nigerian prince - exploring negative stereotypes
Practice background for shoot
Ruth Ossai - Nsukka, Nigeria
Ruth Ossai portrait
Commentary on above image
The composition of this image is striking to me because it communicates to me the model's existence so well - with the house in the background, the scarf is almost like a protective armour.